Re: [ANN] New VRML Browser for Macintosh!

Michael Mehrle ([email protected])
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 13:16:08 -0700

>From: Steve Sauder <[email protected]>
>NORTH PLAINS ANNOUNCES "VRML EQUINOX" : POWERFUL MACINTOSH VRML BROWSER
>
>Dunno yet what Mark pesce thinks of this, but I'll bet money theres a
>piece of mail in here somewhar from him about it!
>
>almost two years ago now mark and i spent considerable time - money and
>energy running around the country promoting the advent of VRML as
>Teh VRML Equinox, and there is significant mention of this factr and the
>term in his book!
>
>Don't you folks think its a bit tacky to try and name your product with
>something thats alesady been given into the public domain by others?
>
>why don't you just cut to the chase and name it William Gibsons Cyberspace!
>ooops - thats aleaedy been done :-).
>
>Personally I'm insulted, but your travelling in fine company now that that
>Microsoft is also biting off a piece of the action.
>
>too bad few seem to understand just why VRML has enjoyed an
>uncharacteristic and meteoric rise in the game.
>
>But you didn't hear that from me!
>nuh uh!
>
>LUX ./. owen

With all due respect for Mark, you, and anybody else on the VRML frontier,
I don't think that anybody has a patent on certain words or expressions,
especially since these words have been introduced into public domain by
Mark (unless you file one with the US patent office). I think the old
saying is applicable: Copying is the ultimate form of flattery! (or
something like that, I have a tendency to throw words around).

Seriously, considering Mark's exceptional intellect, I don't think that he
will subside to vehemently oppose the naming of Equinox, even when it has
been pinched by a third party developer. I think Mark is much to busy right
now, promoting VRML and keeping the momentum of the evolving VRML community
on the right track.

I, personally, are happy to see the emerge of more Macintosh VRML browsers.
Thank you Equinox!

Michael

\\///
[ o-o ]

http://www.w3media.com/w3media
[email protected]
Tel. 310.441.9599
Fax 310.441.5919

"One man's mundane and desperate existence
is someone else's Technicolor."
-Strange Days-