Re: Intellectual Property Trap.

Jay Torborg ([email protected])
Wed, 13 Dec 95 16:34:03 PST

Bazemore Jonathan R writes:

> If Microsoft allows a "license for its intellectual
> property, free of charge," does that not force the licensee
> to implicitly grant that Microsoft does intellectually own
> the standard/code in question? And if that is the case,

No, this simply means that Microsoft is granting rights to any of its
intellectual property that is necessary to implement the specification.
In many cases, a specification is put forth which does not explicitly
grant IP rights - the author may be relinquishing any rights to the
spec, but not to patents, copyrights, etc., that they may have which
are required to implement the specification. We wanted to make sure
that this was completely in the open when presenting the ActiveVRML
specification.

Jay Torborg
Microsoft
[email protected]