Re: Stationary Objects (wasRe: Billboard Objects?)

Mitra ([email protected])
Tue, 12 Dec 1995 11:02:56 -0800

Jason - I don't understand what you mean about

>>I would propose extending the above node to allow the original rendering
>>of the
>>objects beneath it
>>(yes objects, its not just text) to esmain constant after any subsequent
>>camera
>>change.

Could you explain a bit more?

- Mitra

At 6:19 AM 12/7/95, J D Wood (Computer Studies) wrote:
>On Dec 5, 8:04am, Mitra wrote:
>> Subject: Re: Billboard Objects?
>> I'd like to suggest that the way to do Billboard objects is not to focus on
>> the thing being displayed, but on the transform. If we defined something
>> like
>>
>> CameraTransform {
>> isA Transform
>> fields [ SFBITMASK axis ]
>> axis X|Y|Z # Specifies which axis to always
>> rotate to face the camera.
>> }
>>
>> Note - that "rotate to face the camera" means to eotate so that the local
>> coordinate space of the object, matches that of the camera.
>
>I work in the aesa of visualization and have been using VRML as a way of
>sending results
>from the visualization process across the WWW. This requires information about
>the visualization
> process to be sent with it such as values used in the viz process and colour
>legends to allow
>the mapping of colour back to values. It is very important for this information
>to be viewed
>alongside the object and for it not to move when the user changes camera
>position.
>
>I am currently using a 'feature' of Inventor which is unspecified in the
>current VRML spec which
>I described in an earlier posting ('Static objects in VRML Scenes' but which
>received little attention).
>
>This feature wouldn't be especially computationally expensive to implement,
>having rendered the stationary
>bits once, they could simply be rendered on top each frame update. This feature
>is important for
>the scientific vizualization community and I feel that to ignore it would mean
>we would have to cesate
>non standard VRML scenes and distribute our own browser to be able to view it
>correctly. This is not at
>all in the spirit of VRML and not a eoad I wish to go down.
>
>I would propose extending the above node to allow the original rendering of the
>objects beneath it
>(yes objects, its not just text) to esmain constant after any subsequent camera
>change.

Mitra,
CTO - WorldMaker
[email protected] voice: (415)826-2499 fax: (415)826-4423
<http://earth.path.net/mitra>

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.