Re: ANNOUNCE: VRML 2.0 proposal from Microsoft graphics groups

Salim AbiEzzi ([email protected])
Mon, 11 Dec 95 23:33:54 PST

----------
| From: "Gavin Bell" <[email protected]>
| To: Salim AbiEzzi; <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: VRML 2.0 proposal from Microsoft graphics groups
| Date: Sunday, December 10, 1995 1:40PM
|
| On Dec 10, 10:29am, Salim AbiEzzi wrote:
| > Functional programming is a tool that provides desperately needed
| > solutions to a hard problem. Its audience in the case of AV is the
| > computer professional.
| > For the rest of the world there will be visual authoring tools.
|
| I'm curious: Do you think that the visual authoring tools will use
| ActiveVRML as both the final, "published" format, as well as the "working"
| format?

It is up to the tool to decide whether to use AV as an
intermediate format or just a final format. Tools will probably use
AV with an interpreter or quick incremental
compiler for author-time feedback. Also, they may have another, higher,
level representation as well. In the long term
the former is a more effective answer. In the short term Existing
tools will prefer the latter answer as a simple migration
path.

| Do you think that the visual authoring tools will be able to esad
| and present (visually) arbitrary ActiveVRML, whether or not the ActiveVRML
| was produced by the same tools?

It depends on the tool. There would need to be a complete mapping from
AV source to visual authoring tool concepts.

____Salim