RE: Some ActiveVRML patholoies

Conal Elliott ([email protected])
Tue, 12 Dec 95 14:22:46 TZ

Mike,

You're right to point out that there operations like derivative are not
really applicable to every behavior, even of differentiable type.
Though desirable, it's not possible to capture all domain restrictions
purely via the type system. In general, it's probably not possible
even to detect these out-of-domain cases, even at run time.

Explicit functions of continuous time often, however, do allow much
more analyzability w.r.t. error bounds for functions like derivative
and integral.

As for determining zeros of functions, interval and affine analysis are
techniques that have been applied successfully. Again, there are
limits to generality.

Sorry for the terse reply. Off to San Diego...

- Conal