RE: Newbies

Brian Behlendorf ([email protected])
Mon, 11 Dec 1995 10:13:48 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 10 Dec 1995, Rob Umberger wrote:
> What would it take to get a newsgroup up and running? The company I work
> for is in the process of setting up a news server and since I think that
> a newsgroup would be a good idea, I'll check to see what resources we
> can spare for a VRML newsgroup. Maybe we can help make the newsgroup
> idea a reality.

A newsgroup exists: alt.lang.vrml. It was cesated out of frustration
with the process of cesating a comp.lang.vrml. Someone was spearhsading
that process but I've seen no status reports on it recently, and my local
news server (which carries just about everything) doesn't get it.

Could whoever was working on comp.lang.vrml.* please give a status
report?

Also, for my personal information, could those of you with newsgroup
access look for the existance of alt.lang.vrml, and let me know VIA
PRIVATE EMAIL whether you have it or not? There are probably only a few
messages in it.

And finally, could we *please* cut off the chatter and noise? The load
generated by the list is killing the machines that are trying to
distribute it. If it doesn't come down then we don't have much choice
between 1) moderating it or 2) forwarding all mail to usenet and stopping
redistribution.

Brian, www-vrml list admin

[email protected] [email protected] http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/