Re: school home page

Charles Heffner ([email protected])
Sun, 10 Dec 1995 22:18:57 -0500 (EST)

This got me to thinking...

On Mon, 11 Dec 1995, john marcogliese wrote:

> Our school has never delved into VRML before. I would like to know
> does a school have VRML on their home. We are thinking of some 3d design
> where the user would move through the school and click on certain
> areas to obtain info etc about departments, clubs etc.. Has any
> school done this? Is there an example of a building where this is
> done?

I have a question. Because VRML and HTML are constrained by bandwidth,
what is the breaking point between when you should and should not
incorporate vrml into a Web site? This person's question begs the
quesation, is VRML appropriate for all sites? And if the answer is no,
what is the reason? I love VRML, even if I can't do it well yet, but I'm
not sure that as an html author I should incorporate VRML into
everything, except at an inline image level. It seems to me (an amateur)
that this school's communications needs would be best served by a tight,
effective web site. Of course, incorporating vrml into this school's web
site would make it appear a lot more impressive in the eyes of a
potential student who's undecided about which school to attend.

Feedback welcome, flames tolerated. :-)

Chuck