RE: ActiveVRML technical question

Salim AbiEzzi ([email protected])
Sun, 10 Dec 95 11:05:09 PST

Kent, you ask a good question.

The time variability and interaction live in AV, and are modeled
theough the reactive behavior constructs. So, you can only import
static models (in VRML1.0, 3ds and other formats), and use them as
building blocks inside AV to contstruct interactive and animate
composits of them. So, you would need to disect your model into static
parts, and support the varying parameters as AV reactive behaviors.

Clearly this gives us VRML1.0 compatibility in that the AV viewer can
simply import the VRML1.0 model and support its viewing in 3D, just
like VRML1.0 viewers behave today.

Eventually, we envision authoring tools to generate content in the form
of seperate parts:
- media parts: static geometry, sound, image, ...
- AV models that import the media parts and relate them to one another
spatially, structurally, and temporally. And make them animate and interactive
- VB, Java, ... components as needed

The content becomes a container of these parts and components that
delivers the VR experience.

____Salim