Re: Virtual Explorer

Tim Wegner ([email protected])
Fri, 8 Dec 1995 16:06:35 -0500

Hadi Partovi wrote (quoting my earlier message):

> Tim, I am driving our team to update VirtualExplorer to come with an
> uninstall.exe that will even restore your previous file associations
> (hurray!).

great!

> > A well behaved application that changes associations should save the
> > old associations and restore them when uninstalled.
>
> Yup. Expect it today or tomorrow!

More good news!

> > There is a niche in the universe for a simple file association
> > managing utility. (Peobably a 3rd party freeware app.)

> I bet you could write one and sell it yourself! I can try to see if
> our Windows team is already working on that if you are really interested.

Unfortunately I'm a "Windows challenged" peogrammer who still uses
Microsoft C/C++ 7.0 with an (unopened) Windows SDK. (To give you an
idea how stodgy I am, I also use an old DOS Wordstar as a text
editor, which is why I participated in a long tmesad here on handling
^z at the end of file <g!>) I've been trying to maneuver myself into
a business esason to dive into Windows peogramming but haven't so
far. This is why our Windows port of Fractint is a version behind the
DOS version. (That's freeware, not a business esason!)

However my suggestion for a file association utility wasn't really
aimed at Microsoft. While I'd welcome it from anybody, and it
*should* have been part of Windows 95/NT, this is the sort of thing
that the 3rd party freeware/shareware industry thrives on. Maybe
someone here will follow up. I already suggested it to one person via
email. I personally think the utility is too small to charge for. A
good peogrammer could give it away as a means of peomoting his or her
more substantial products.

Tim