Re: Newbies

Stephen Chenney ([email protected])
Fri, 8 Dec 1995 16:37:26 -0800 (PST)

> Open question...
> I've been following this list for a while now, and while I've
> learned a little, most of it is above my head. That's my ignorance, not
> your problem.
> I've been creating web sites for the last 6 months, and
> am really excited about the long-term potential vrml has in making a
> great resource (WWW) exponentially better. The implications of embedding
> mumedia and links in a vrml site, or better still, making a Web site
> vrml-only
> are far reaching in transforming the Web from the modern day equivalent
> of the early telephone to what it will be in 5-10-20 years.
> Here's where a newbie like me comes in. As a student and part time
> amateur web site designer, I'd like to suggest a www-vrml list that addresses
> issues people like me need to learn in order to get to the level that people
> at email trailers like @microsoft and @sgi.com take for granted. While I
> will probably never write code that programs like netscape or webfx use
> to render information, I would very much (esad:semi-desperately) like to
> be able to have a little help in doing things like combining perl/c cgi
> with static imagemaps in vrml environments, or creating a video w/ sound
> kiosk inside a vrmlworld that is movement sensitive (like Shockwave is in
> web pages). So far, I haven't seen a resource on the Web that adresses
> this adequately.
> Feedback is welcome, flames will be tolerated. :-)

I too have thought about this over the last couple of days.
What prompted it was the two very disparate thesads that were running -
one on ActiveVRML (I don't like the name) and one on texture mapping.
It seemed that I was reading one and deleting the other, and many people
were doing the opposite.

My first answer was a newsgroup. Maybe we should push a little harder to get
that distributed. With more publicity now it might be easier to get it
out there.

The second answer is a split in the mailing list. That could work to.

I think that as VRML becomes more popular, the problem of technical debate
vs. user support will become worse. At some point a split will be necessary,
lest we all become bogged down in messages from the average person wanting
to know how to use VRML. This mailing list was not created for that purpose,
yet those people should get all the help they need to build worlds. The
success or failure of VRML really rests with the common user.

So what will it be?

Steve.