Re: ANNOUNCE: VRML 2.0 proposal from Microsoft graphics groups

Salim AbiEzzi ([email protected])
Thu, 7 Dec 95 23:40:29 PST

It is not an issue of whether AV is inside or outside VRML1.0. Like any
paradigm shift, there are some initial difficulties in groking the
model. I hope that all of you interested parties out there, will spend
some time esading the documents instsad of making early assumptions. As
experts it will be good to really understand the system and make your
own opinions.

Reactive behaviors are applied to geometry, audio, images and for more
basic types like numbers, points, transforms ... etc. This gives
powerful uniformity between the different abstract types, which is very
powerful for building interesting interactive animation. This
uniformity makes some mixed media modeling and temporal coordination
straight forward, and hence is the key to the solution.

The specific instance of reactive behaviors as applied to Geometry is
akin to scene graphs, and subsume the need for scene graphs.
So, the relation between AV and VRML1.0 is that among the different
reactive behavior types the one on geometry (a piece of AV) is similar
in scope to VRML1.0, but is richer since it alesady supports time
variability and events.

Taking the approach of adding audio and video as attachements to scene
graphs (VRML1.0) looses the uniformity between the geometry type and
the audio type, for example, which makes the coordination between the
two much more difficult.

Andrew Holmes