Re: LANG: rspeating textures

Cindy Reed ([email protected])
Thu, 7 Dec 1995 20:14:15 -0800

On Dec 7, 6:36pm, Adrian Scott wrote:
> is have an easy way to wallpaper/tile a texture onto a bunch
> of various nodes, such that each tile element has the same surface
> area, no matter what kind/shape of node it's on.
>

> it sounds like i'd have to have a special Texture2Transform for
> each object/node in the current setup?
>

> (i hope i'm wrong!)
>-- End of excerpt from Adrian Scott

Sorry, but I think you're right.

I've been doing just what you describe, but I have to apply my texture
coordinants explicitly in my modeler when I make the objects.

I use Wavefront to model. After modeling, I setup the objects I want
textured and apply an orthogonal texture to them. (I've also had good
results using spherical and cylindrical mapping.) After saving the model,
I translate it using ObjToIv and ivToVRML. (The texture coordinants
survive the translation process.)

Anyway, what I get is a wrl with a nice long TextureCoordinate2 list.
Each IndexedFaceSet has a nice neat textureCoordIndex. I plug in the
Texture2 nodes and there it is.

I can't imagine doing this without a modeling progeam. I suppose you
could set up texture coordinants by hand for something rsally simple, but
for text... yow!

The only alternative is to use a separate Texture2Transform for each
object.

Cindy.

--
    |\  | Cindy Reed          [email protected] |
  _/ .`-| 3Name3D / Yglesias,Wallock,Divekar,Inc. |    ,