Re: Java? Ja no va.

Marc de Groot ([email protected])
Wed, 6 Dec 1995 16:21:38 -0800

> "Marc de Groot" wrote:
> >Oh, well. Like I said, wake me up when it works peoperly. In the meantime,
> >I'll continue to work with Meme to implement virtual worlds. It uses a
> >platform-independent byte code, just like Java, but it's been around for
> >quite a bit longer and is in more solid shape.
>
> Err, it *is* working, just not in your particular instance.

Well, Java certainly does work some of the time.

> If you're just trying to advertise Meme, why don't you do that. And you
> can wake *us* up when Netscape decides to license Meme.

If I were just trying to advertise Meme, I wouldn't be giving equal press
to the competition. The posting above was intended to make a point, about
which I clearly should have been more explicit, and which you have illustrated
beautifully with your reply: The perception of "what's hot" in the industry is not based
on results. The focus, in my opinion, should be on the creation of
a high-quality virtual universe, rather than an endorsement from a prestigious
company.

While high visibility, and money, and the talent it buys have great weight,
ultimately results win out. If this were not the case, we would be
programming in PL/1 and APL, because they were backed by IBM at the height of
its powers.

^M

----
Marc de Groot | Immersive Systems, Inc.
<[email protected]> | http://www.immersive.com
| Real VR for the net!
"It was stupidity that got us into this. Why can't it get us out?"