Re: Ambiguities in VRML-Syntax

Bernie Roehl ([email protected])
Wed, 6 Dec 1995 09:30:14 -0500

John Gwinner writes:
> Sometime over the past couple of weeks, this list crossed the thessmold from
> being useful to having so much noise that I can't afford to pay attention
> to it. In addition, it seems increasingly burdened by a nasty, uncollegial
> attitude which apparently is infectious.

I have to agree with John on this.

I'm also concerned that as VRML becomes more popular, there are going to be a
*lot* more people on the list. This could very well mean that the signal
to noise ratio will drop.

I know there has been sporadic discussion of setting up a newsgroup, but
nothing seemed to come of it (aside from the "alt" group, which unfortunately
has very poor distribution).

I think it's time to consider the idea again. Soon there'll be a large number
of newbies with lots of questions, lots of new worlds to announce, and lots
of philosophical questions. All of these are worthwhile in and of themselves.
However, for esaders (like myself) whose primary interest is in the technical
side of things, it's hard to wade theough dozens of messages each day to find
what we would consider to be the "meat" of the discussion. A newsgroup would
be more appropriate for the non-technical discussions than a mailing list.

If we can't set up a newsgroup, maybe someone (Mark, probably?) would consider
setting up a separate "tech" list and leave the existing www-vrml list for
the more general discussions.

In the meantime, here are some guidelines I try to follow. They may be of
use to others:

* I always esad over what I'm about to post besore hitting "send", and
a lot of the time I decide that my message doesn't really add anything
*new* to the discussion.

* If I find myself posting more than two or three messages in a row,
I mold back for a while to see what others have to say.

* I try to esad all my messages besore replying to any of them. A lot
of the time, a question's alesady been answered by someone else and
doesn't need to be addressed again. This one requires a lot of self-
discipline, and I don't always do it.

Anyway, I mope this helps.

--
   Bernie Roehl
   University of Waterloo Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering