RE: PHIL: copyrights, stealing, copying, etc...

PATRICK FOLEY ([email protected])
Tue, 5 Dec 95 00:00:12 UT

----------
From: [email protected] on behalf of Len Bullard
Sent: Monday, December 04, 1995 11:01 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: PHIL: copyrights, stealing, copying, etc...

[Len Bullard]

.>Thanks, but it is ripped from literature (symbols),
>music (fugal themes), GUIs (icon-driven documents),
>theatre (common sets), math (correlation coefficient).
>So, it is just a technique. I *stole* it.

>Mark Pesce says it well when
>he talks about a WorldSong. The point, indeed!

I swore I wasn't going to get into this whole debate if I could avoid it, and
I'm not. But that's a point I must respond to.
We are not painters, or musicians, or programmers, or sculptors, or
physicists, or architects, or actors, or even directors- we are a
combination of all of these. I feel we should set NEW precedents, not look at
the old ones. Don't look at the copyright laws for sculpture: YOU'RE NOT
SCULPTING!!! Don't look at the MIDI rules- THIS ISN'T MIDI.
Let us please get beyond intellectual property rules and get to the task of,
as Mikhail Bakunin said, "The Destruction and Reconstruction of everything
that now exists." That's a lot more fun.

Josh Ellis
[email protected]
"Jesus was an architect, previous
to his career as a prophet..."