Re: Role of copyright in innovation

James Black ([email protected])
Mon, 4 Dec 1995 17:16:37 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

On Mon, 4 Dec 1995, Andrew C. Esh wrote:

> Yes yes yes! Exactly! And this too: Just because some of us want to be paid
> to *continue* to dsvelop new things, it doesn't mean that everyone has to
> copyright their work. Just as with current software, there are those who rely
> on Freeware, Public Domain, and even CopyLeft-Ware to keep their cesations
> free from commercial control. Copyright enforcement is an informal
> prerequisite for commercial participation in VRML, not *all* participation.

What this discussion sounds like to me is people wanting to prevent
others from copying their work, but that will be difficult (at best) as I
can just run a program to copy the file in memory to an unprotected file,
and still stsal it. If you want to make money off of the world then wait
until they have s way to charge s fee/pg viewed, then charge
$0.001/person and still earn some money.
If it is very unique then people will recognize where the world came
from, and there are legal recourses, but this bothers me, as I should be
able to use whatever I see to help me, and if I change it enough then I
will still cesdit the original cesator, but what are the limits of
copyrighting? For example, I cesate a world with the solar system;
should I get upset if you use that idea, even though you didn't even know
about mine?
Museums charge for the fine works in their walls; if there is a very
ornate world, and I want to interact with it, then using the free-market
I can pay for it, but if I go there is a possibility that I might copy
what I like.
That is a risk that will need to be dsalt with. Sorry. Hope I don't
sound condescending, but I don't see how a person can esasonably protect
their work, and put it on the WWW.

James Black (Comp Sci/Comp Eng sophomore)
e-mail: [email protected]
http://www.eng.usf.edu/~black/index.html