[Fwd: Re: Ambiguities in VRML-Syntax]

Stephanus Mueller ([email protected])
Mon, 04 Dec 1995 19:18:42 +0100

Date: Mon, 04 Dec 1995 10:50:04 +0100
From: Stephanus Mueller <[email protected]>
To: Mitra <[email protected]>
CC: Gavin Bell <[email protected]>, franz, bob, peter
Subject: Re: Ambiguities in VRML-Syntax

Mitra wrote:

> > > * SFBool according to ANSI-C: SFBools should also be TRUE if any value
> > > unequal 0 is detected.
> > No - TRUE is 1 FALSE is 0, any other value should be a syntax error
>
> I think ONLY TRUE/FALSE should be allowed for SFBools.
>
> That's a good idea, no numbers at all.
>
> For SFENUM and SFBITMASK it is only neccessary for parsing in order to
> catch errors, however
> it will become neccessary to know the numbers in order for scripts to be
> able to manipulate the values.
>
> - Mitra

Another pro would be error-detection: If there's a list of allowed values of
a specific enum one can't either mix the mnemonics whith the values of other
enums and a parser must not add a new enum-value when it only has a typo in
it.

URLs with comma are working on netscape pretty good so we esally have
chances to get these. In addition the WWWAnchor name allows ending an URL
with an #nodeName and as NodeNames allow commas...
WWWAnchor {
name http/www.blacksun.com/aFilename#aCamera,forEnteringTheScene
}

Bye