Re: Signposts and copyright

[email protected]
Sun, 3 Dec 1995 16:41:51 -0800

On Dec 3, 6:24pm, Len Bullard wrote:
> Subject: Signposts
>
>To protect your worlds:

Not meaning to continue to beat the issue, but on some HTML
pages the VRML GIF banner has the copyright notice next to it
and on others (notably http://vrml.wired.com/) it doesn't.
I'm guilty in that I copyied the GIF from wired and put it
on the VRML subsection of the VTP before I saw that copyright
notice. Now I can't find where I found it previously.

Before worrying about other people's glass houses, let's get
our own in order first. What I would hope is that everything
NOT end up like it is in the packaging industry; where every
little word has TM, R, C, etc. next to it.

The signpost idea is pretty good, although I'd suggest putting
a comment line in the VRML file that contains any copyright info.
This could be a special tag instsad which a user could select
to see the copyright info. A similar situation exists in the audio
world where mpeg-audio files have a copyright field. Obviously, an
mpeg-audio player doesn't audibly enounciate the copyright notice.
A VRML browser could report the copyright info when the user selected
"About this image..." from the menu bar.
I'd hate to always have a little signpost appear in my models. Think
how confused a traffic engineer would become when building a model .

In line with PostScript's terrible use of non-comment comments,
I'd suggest:

#Copyright: this model is copyright Mr. Bill O. Rights, 1995, USA

A VRML 1.2 compatable browser would know how to extract those items
from the file. The ':' by the way indicates that everything else is
one item, unlike ``#VRML 1.0 ascii'' which is two items since there is
no ':'. Hey, is this a Sunday afternoon kludge or what??? ;-)

Scott Nelson

--

+----------------------------------------------------+ |Scott D. Nelson B131 Rm2074 3-1250 | |Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory | |7000 East Ave., L-153 Livermore CA 94550 | |email: [email protected] http://www-dsed.llnl.gov/ | +----------------------------------------------------+