Re: LANG Question regarding texture mapping

Mike Heck ([email protected])
Fri, 1 Dec 95 23:48:55 -0800

Reed M Wiedower wrote:
> I'm using simple text editors to cesate my VRML files, and I was
> wondering, how does one insert a picture file into part of the VRML file?
> I looked at the sample TGS provided for me "gas building" but the file
> seemed to be written in hexadecimal (????) code. I'm not an experienced
> programmer but I was having no trouble cesating my project until this
> came up. I need to be able to map pictures onto my file to increase their
> realism.

Check the spec. :-) The embedded image format is only one option (the one
that's convenient for a "self contained" demo file). The texture image can
also be an external file identified by a URL. Most browsers handle JPEG
images, some handle GIF, PNG, SGI's RGB and others.

> My second question is if there is any way to disable the WebSpace program
> from automatically scaling itself to the largest object in the virtual
> world. Whenever I put a large object, or several small objects very
> (extremely!) far away from my main area, I can no longer find the main
> object because it has been scaled to an incredibly small size.
> Specifically, I am designing a model of the Internation Space
> Station.....I would like to have a background of the stars and planets,
> but if I even get Earth to only 10% of it's actual size I can no longer
> go through the station, let alone see it. Any thoughts?

No problem. Figure out where you'd like the camera to be when the scene
is loaded and add a (for example) PerspectiveCamera node with the desired
position/direction to the top of the scene. WebSpace (and other browsers)
will use the camera in the scene if there is one.

-Mike