Re: STEAL THIS SOURCE

Richard Rabbat ([email protected])
Fri, 01 Dec 1995 14:25:01 -0500

Bazemore Jonathan R wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Dec 1995, Pioneer Joel wrote:
>

> > If you're bothered by people stealing your stuff,
> > what make's you think that you're interested in the WEB?
> >
> > Preventative information has little place in the future.
> >

> I agree 100 percent--information should be shared
> and disseminated, not hoarded and wielded over others for
> the purposes of some kind of coercive dominion.
>For people who are concerned about intellectual property, just
don't use the Net if you want your stuff to be private. I see a
clash of logic. Reminds me of problems that other companies had
with Microsoft(R) a while ago about their undocumented features
in different flavors of Windows (tm).
Also can you think of Intel(R) releasing a new processor and not
telling people how to program. Defeats the whole process. The
web is an interface to society. That's what makes it so
interesting and powerful. Why do we have this mailing list
anyway? I have seen so many people send code with problems and
have it solved by others. That's what community work is about.

> Of course this should prevail under the flag of
> acknowledgement of authorship, to give credit where it is due.
> I couldn't agree with you more. At the university level, when
you take ideas from others, you acknowledge that. The biggest
task when doing research is actually the reading part. For those
of you who haven't done graduate studies, and who have been in a
company environment for much too long, 60 % of your research
goes into reading what other people have done and learning from
them. The advancement of humanity has been hampered by people
keeping new technologies secret. Others would still be trying to
figure out what they have done. A most striking event is the
Intelligence releasing all the detailed maps of the ocean bottom
to the scientific community. We will surely see some tremendous
good results due to that.

> But isn't imitation flattery, in any event?:)
I would like to stress on the point that people should build on
an acquired basis and try to do more.

Just a quick note to Sandy Ressler:
I understand about your concerns with this discussion but if we
can't resolve that issue fast, VRML would go in either way
without any control. This is IMHO a crucial design and
development issue.

As always: for any flames, please post them directly to me and
not to the mailing list.

Richard Rabbat
Center for Educational Computing Initiatives
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Email: [email protected], [email protected]
mail : 1 Amherst Street E40-370, Cambridge, MA 02139
url : http://abelard.mit.edu/staff/Ricky.html
phone: 1-617-252-1838
fax : 1-617-253-8632