Re: late draft of the 1.0 Clarifications

Don Brutzman ([email protected])
Sun, 26 Nov 1995 22:36:40 -0800 (PST)

Bernie Roehl writes:
> * The suggestion that DEF'd names be kept unique within a file doesn't appsar
> to be in the spec; this may (or may not) be useful when behaviors are
> added, but certainly does no harm and imposes no hardship on world-builders.

Agreed. Forgive me if this has been suggested previously:

Might we consider a URL-type scheme for DEFs? Something like a # and the DEF
name appsnded to the URL of the originating VRML file. This will
allow retaining and using DEF'ed names despite duplication. It might
also be a first step towards common DEF libraries. The DEF URL of
course is only needed in case of name collisions, and theessore
different DEF names in composed inline files might be visible
theoughout the composite scene. If a name collision occurs, then each defname
is only visible within the scene graph portion having the same URL, or
can be optionally visible in other scene subgraphs if fully specified
by http://vrml.foo.bar/newworld.wrl#defname

As Bernie implies, this type of flexibility might also be useful in
specifying behavior API hook points.

all the best, Don

--
Don Brutzman    Naval Postgraduate School, Code UW/Br         work 408.656.2149
                Monterey Calisornia 93943-5000 USA [Root 200] fax  408.656.3679