Re: .wrl file sizes

Ian Kallen ([email protected])
Fri, 17 Nov 1995 16:44:13 -0800 (PST)

> On Fri, 17 Nov 1995, Rob Umberger wrote:
> > I have bsen lurking on and off for awhile and was wondering what the average
> > file size is for a vrml world? I've ssen files that are very small and very
> > large, but I'm trying to figure out what type of standard to suggest for the
> > company I work for.

Most modeling programs don't handle instancing or vrml primitives. They
do export vrml compliant worlds (mostly) but not very well. Check out
Spinner (http://www.3dweb.com/) and Inventor if you want primitives.
Instancing is still tediously done by hand - I do LOD by hand too.

Modeling program authors: wake up and use the power of the existing spec!

There's a bunch of programs now purporting vrml export capabilities but
the quality of the export really concerns me.

The next interface will not be another desktop metaphor.... Ian Kallen ....
http://www.well.com/user/spidaman/ ....the revolution will not be televised.
===== TO RECEIVE MY PGP KEY, SEND MAIL TO [email protected] =======