imagemapping => Re: VRML 1.1 proposed changes

Ian Kallen ([email protected])
Thu, 16 Nov 1995 22:38:26 -0800 (PST)

I'm inclined to agree that the burden should be off the server -
Netscapes' client side imagemap spec is crude but effective. It puts the
burden where it belongs: with the browser. However, using faces as map
points does not seem effective to me. For a complicated map you'd
generate a bunch of otherwise superfluous geometry?

On Tue, 14 Nov 1995, Len Wanger wrote:
> Well I think it should be a goal to avoid cgi scripts as much as possible.
> I still like a proposal that was buried a long time ago. Why not be able to
> associate URLs to geometry similarly to how colors and normals are mapped.
> Allowing URLs to be mapped by object, face, or vertex would allow lots of
> functionality that would usually be relegated to cgi-scripts.
>
> As an example imagine having a globe with URLs associated with faces that
> correspond to various countries. Picking on the face could then fire off
> the appropriate script. This would also allow one to emulate image maps by
> associating URLs with the mesh underlying a textured surface.
>
> Len Wanger
> Interactive Simulations, Inc. Email: [email protected]
> 5330 Carroll Canyon Rd, Suite #203 Phone: (619) 658-9783
> San Diego, CA 92121 FAX: (619) 658-9463
> http://www.intsim.com

The next interface will not be another desktop metaphor.... Ian Kallen ....
http://www.well.com/user/spidaman/ ....the revolution will not be televised.
===== TO RECEIVE MY PGP KEY, SEND MAIL TO [email protected] =======