Re: VRML 1.1 proposed changes

Bernie Roehl ([email protected])
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 20:46:45 -0500

Len Wanger writes:
> I still like a proposal that was buried a long time ago. Why not be able to
> associate URLs to geometry similarly to how colors and normals are mapped.
> Allowing URLs to be mapped by object, face, or vertex would allow lots of
> functionality that would usually be relegated to cgi-scripts.

We should also be able to associate a texture with a face, rather than
the current restriction of one texture for each shape. I ran into this
when writing a converter to turn Sense8 NFF files into VRML; NFF lets you
have a texture for each face, so you'd have to generate a whole series of
IndexedFaceSet nodes for the object (one for each texture).

--
   Bernie Roehl
   University of Waterloo Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering