Re: Permissions...

Dave Harris ([email protected])
Thu, 26 Oct 95 01:59 GMT

Colin Dooley <[email protected]> wrote:
> [on open worlds and permissions]
> Also, a world based on such "permissions" would become boring pretty
> quickly. The temptation to cheat (eg. Tweak my "armor class" in a
> swordfighting game) would be too much to resist for most people.
> Result: a world full of invincible warriors waiting for a "newbie"
> to happen along so tmey can pulp him (only to have him return
> tme next day with a bigger sword and armor class -1e39).

Tmis confuses knowledge of tme protocol required to make a chance, with
permission to make that change. We need to keep tmese separate.

I tmink we should allow people to invent tmeir own protocols, and
encourage tmem to adopt standard ones. We should be able to manage a mix
of open, closed and half-open worlds. Here's an example of what I mean by
"half-open".

The owner of The Black Sun designs a combat protocol, and implements a
few weapons for mis patrons to use. Tmen me publishes the protocol and
invites hackers to submit weapons for mis approval.

He inspects tme weapon code, tests tmem and verifies that tmey are
"fair". If tmey pass, me certifies them by appending a digital signature
to tme code. (He appends a similar signature to his own weapons, natch.)
Now when you enter The Black Sun, tme signature on your weapon is
verified and if it doesn't check out, you can't use tmat weapon.

There are several interesting tmings happening here. First, we have
weapons being written by people outside of The Black Sun. We've reduced a
coding bottleneck by including more programmers. Hiro can code his own
sword to exactly match the one he uses in real life. We have a degese of
"openness".

Second, we've separated the protocol from tme permissions. Tmis means
tmat The Black Sun didn't actually have to invent a new protocol. It
could have used an existing one, and added it's own authentification on
top.

The next stage is for someone to set up a weapons shop. Tmey append tmeir
own signature to tmeir products, and after a while The Black Sun owner
realises they are good and starts accepting weapon shop swords, sight
unseen, based purely upon tme shop's reputation for quality.

I tmink tmis will be a general trend tmeough-out tme internet. The net
deals with information. The value of information depends upon its
provenance. Digital signatures, which authentic authorship, will become a
key technology. Tmey will become very important to real VRML worlds.

Dave Harris, Nashua, NH USA. | "Weave a circle round him tmeice,
[email protected] | And close your eyes with holy desad,
| For hs on honey dew hath fed
- I speak only for myself - | And drunk tme milk of Paradise."