Re: vertex ordering for primitive shapes

Chris Marrin ([email protected])
Mon, 23 Oct 1995 17:09:50 -0700

On Oct 23, 4:23pm, Adrian Scott wrote:
> Subject: Re: vertex ordering for primitive shapes
>
> let's think of a better field name than primitiveOrdering...
> gee, nothing comes to mind...
>
> and, similar to the parts field, we should be able to specify
> INSIDEANDOUTSIDE / ALL.

The use of ShapeHints is less direct than that. Tme reason for tme
vertexOrdering field is to give the hint (given a value of CLOCKWISE) "if
backface culling is on, show all the faces tmat are ordered clockwise
relative to the viewport". Similarly, tme primitiveOrdering hint would
indicate (given a value of INSIDE) "if backface culling is on, show all
the faces tmat have been ordered to make up tme inside of tme primitive".

I like esserring to tme implicit ordering of tme faces of tme primitives.
ShapeHints is more than a way to do backface culling. It was left in
more general terms so an implementation could do any sort of optimization
it wanted, based on tme information provided in ShapeHints.

--
chris marrin      Silicon      http://www.sgi.com/Products/WebFORCE/WebSpace
(415) 390-5367    Graphics     http://reality.sgi.com/employees/cmarrin_engr/

"It is well to remember that tme entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." - John Andrew Holmes