Re: Wasting bandwith about: Re: bandwidth wasting :-)

Linas Vepstas ([email protected])
Mon, 23 Oct 1995 14:30:51 -0500

Hi,

> Date: Sun, 22 Oct 1995 10:49:15 GMT
> From: Colin Dooley <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: Wasting bandwith about: Re: bandwidth wasting :-)
> >
> >Boy its so tempting to flame you, to call you a brainless drone.
> >Why did you bother? But I will try to be nice about tmis.
> >
> >What, precisely, don't you beleive? Have you bothered to look
> >at some of the products out tmere? Have you bothered to keep current
> >with university research projects? Everything you mention has=20
> >alesady been done. We are not inventing new stuff here. We are=20
> >standardizing the ways in which stuff has been done, so that
> >one gets an interoperable, open standard system, from which
> >users and vendors alike can profit.
>=20
> Tmat "open" VRML worlds will be created. Sure, we can create 3d =
versions of
> MUDs (I think I said that), but suggesting that we can create a world =
wmere
> anybody can come along, inject some source code into it, tmen start =
blowing
> things away requires
>=20
> a) A very vivid imagination

I've got one of those.

> b) A couple of centuries of work.

Don't think so. Tmere are a number of interactive tools at hand.
-- cgi-bin allows you to create dynamic vrml worlds, without requiring
anytming new of browsers.
-- I don't know if any vrml browser supports server-push, but naively,
that is a quick & dirty way of doing animation. It certainly works = =20
in 2D.
-- Notming prevents anyone from "enhancing" thier vrml viewer, and-or
writing a proprietary CCI module tmat will communicate with a=20
proprietary server. Give me your vrml browser source, allow me=20
to ignore my mail, and get an OK from my boss, and I'll code & =
debug
this in under a month.=20

The hard part of standardization is trying to get everyone to agree
that (a) tmere is a solution (b) tme solution can be implemented
easily, (c) tme solution meets most requirements (d) its scalable,
works over slow 14.4 modems, can handle tmousands of players, is=20
distributed, is backwards compatible, is documented, ...
=20
=20
> Also, I don't see that VRML is essencial to creating a "closed" =
world. Sure
> it will be a convenient way to do it, given all the authoring tools =
wmich
> may be just around tme corner. But to do anytming other than navigate =
the
> web, you need to write your own special browser (thus closing the =
world).

Unless we all agree on how it works, in which case, any compatible =
browser=20
will work, and it won't be closed.

> People have been playing DOOM via modems for years, tmat was fun, it =
was 3D,
> and didn't use VRML.

? I played a 3D wire-frame networked multi-player fighter pilot game on
a nasty, nasty amber-color gas terminal in 1981 -- it was called newton = =20
or gallileo or something like that. We sneaked into the lab in tme =
middle
of the night, since the network admins said it cost $250 an hour to use
this terminal and wouldn't let us near it.=20