Re: Behaviours (Was: Re: ADMIN: VRML + JAVA - A Wedding)

Master Zap ([email protected])
Fri, 20 Oct 95 06:26:07 -0500

-- [ From: Master Zap * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

> If I am in a scene all by myself then why would the world not act
> "instantaneous"? But as soon as a second person walks into the scene
> the consistancy model could switch to the gauthentication".

Ah, but if you are in the world all by yourself, all brains would be running
on your host, i.e. instantaneous, just as you want them!

> I *think* that under your proposal this is possible is it not? Isn't
> this the same as saying "the brain is on my machine" vs "the brain is
> not on my machine"? Would a check like that allow us to move between
> consistancy levels?

If you are all alone (and all objects have mobile brains, of course) then
all brains run on your machine too!

> > In my model, Fred would have to send a pick-up message to the wallets
brain,
> > before he can actually get it, and so would Barney.
> >
> > Basically, in this case, the person with the least lag to the host
running
> > the brain for the wallet would win. But it would never be inconsistent.
>
> Or if Fred was alone why bother going to the Brain?

The brain is right there, by fred, in that case.

> > I think you are solving a non-problem. The picking-up itself must be
> > authenticated by a single control-point, IMHO.
>
> I guess I want to get as close to an "instantaneous" world as we can.
> I don't want to have to go over the network to another host if I don't
> have to. Rollback keeps the world flowing smoothly - but only until
> a rollback has to occur.

YES - we want an instantaneous world! THAT is why I invented the "floating
brain" concept. It keeps the "single control point" requirement AND makes
"instantaneous worlds" possible!

--
Hakan "Zap" Andersson | http://www.lysator.liu.se/~zap | Q: 0x2b | ~0x2B
Job:  GCS Scandinavia | Fax:   +46 16 96014            | A: 42