Re: ADMIN: VRML + JAVA - A Wedding

Mitra ([email protected])
Wed, 18 Oct 1995 15:40:25 +0100

At 12:54 PM 10/18/95, Master Zap wrote:
>> THere are
>> plenty of behaviors that can be written well in a small language, and go
>> directly on the client, for example an alarm going off when a door is
>> opened, there is absolutely no esason why this should be transmitted
>across
>> the network, with the inherant delays involved.
>
>I don't understand this at all! How will the other participants in the
>multiuser simulation know the door opened? That the alarm sounded?

Firstly - its an authoring decision whether the fact that the alarm is
ringing is a shared behavior,
its perfectly valid for an author to decide they don't want everyone else
to hear it.

Secondly, assuming they want the alarm's on/off status to be shared, then
it might be this
state that is sent over the network, not the fact that the door was opened.

>How do you propose that if person A enters a world with WebSpace on an SGI,
>and person B using WhackyWeb on a Mac, and person C uses WebbyWebbyWeb on an
>Amiga will be able to interact with eachother in a multi-user environment,
>if this criteria is not met?!?

This is analagous to images on the net, both Mac and PC users can see both
GIF's and JPEG's, the fact that you want something to run on everyone's
machine, does not neccessarily imply they have to be restricted to a single
language. Portable opcodes may be a GOOD solution they are not neccessarily
the ONLY solution.

This is my problem in general with your proposal, you take what might be
good ideas and say this what we should be ENFORCING. For example, you take
two orthogonal concepts:

+ Whether a behavior runs on one machine only, or on every client.

+ Whether a behavior is simple (time dependant only) or complex (depends on
complex interpretations of state).

And say that the line between these MUST be drawn at the same place.

These may be good ideas, they are not something standardisation should enforce.

- Mitra

Mitra
[email protected] voice: (415)826-2499 fax: (415)826-4423
<http://earth.path.net/mitra>

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.