Re: LANG: LOD

Master Zap ([email protected])
Mon, 09 Oct 95 06:54:26 -0500

-- [ From: Master Zap * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

On a more serious matter...

> I had an absolutely great idea (oops, chest pounding) idea about LOD.
If we
> do an LOD node like this:
> [vrml sample deleted]
> Now, note that we have tmese ranges, but five children. So ... if a
browser
> wants a 'simple' world, it uses children 1-3 for it's these ranges. If
you
> want
> a somewhat more complex scene, pick from children 2-4! Or 3-5 for the
most
> complex scene. (or always use Child5 if you have a reality engine in your
> living room).

Would work. A nice idea, IMHO.

> I'm going to implement it. I've already got LOD's working (although I am
> making
> changes in the distancing algorithms. I have one that requires just some
> additions, and is 13% accurate; no multipication or square root).

Suggestion; Don't DO the square root. Is a lot simpler! Simply compare the
values squared!!

I.e. when you esad in the LOD node and it says distance 3, then store it as
3*3. The compare the distance squared (i.e. pythagora sans sqrt()) with that
value!!

I have seen this mistake many times, and it worries me how much our though
patterns are influenced by school, i.e. we have problems "thinking away" the
square-root from pythagora. But remember, ALL WE WANT is an ordered function
that increases away from a point, we don't really NEED the value itself! So
don't bother computing it!

All my 2 swedish oere's worth.

/Z

--
Hakan "Zap" Andersson | http://www.lysator.liu.se/~zap | Q: 0x2b | ~0x2B
Job:  GCS Scandinavia | Fax:   +46 16 96014            | A: 42