Re: LANG: VRML Transforms (fwd)

Chris Marrin ([email protected])
Fri, 6 Oct 1995 15:33:22 -0700

On Oct 5, 5:38pm, Stephen Chenney wrote:
> Subject: Re: LANG: VRML Transforms (fwd)
> This highlights something I've meant to gripe about for some time.
>
> The VRML spec as presented assumes knowledge about Inventor. The
> transform example is one case. Another is how the camera is aligned.
> It seems unacceptable for me to expect people to know about Inventor
> in order to use VRML. It is counterproductive to the aim of establishing
> VRML as the standard for web 3D.

Relax.

First of all, Inventor is not the enemy. We are at VRML Version 1.0 - the
VERY FIRST release. Many smart people are working very hard to get the
information in the spec to stand on its own. Until then there is a book
from Addison Wesley on Inventor so you can try to fill in some of the
holes. There are also books on VRML now which can help, and a FAQ and
information flying around in this group. For now we all have to pull
together to move forward with the information at hand, not poke sticks in
the spec to try to start flame wars.

Breath deeply and savor the freshness...

--
chris marrin      Silicon      http://www.sgi.com/Products/WebFORCE/WebSpace
(415) 390-5367    Graphics     http://reality.sgi.com/employees/cmarrin_engr/

"It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." - John Andrew Holmes