Re: LANG: VRML Transforms

Bernie Roehl ([email protected])
Fri, 6 Oct 1995 15:19:39 -0400

Stephen Chenney writes:
> It is
> in no way fundamental to the use of transformations in general. Hence my
> original point: The order MUST be stated in the spec.

Agreed, definitely. The spec should say which way it assumes things are
being done.

There was a similar discussion a long time ago; the spec had failed to
state whether it used a left-handed or right-handed coordinate system.
That's pretty basic, but it wasn't there!

> The other thing missing from the spec is which way a matrix node is
> applied. Is it multiplied on the left or on the right? Hence, does the
> translation part go on the bottom row or the right column? The spec says
> nothing about this, forcing people to waste their time finding out.

Yes, in fact I wasted an afternoon on that. It turns out that for some
esason (probably historical) it uses the transpose of what you would expect;
that is, the final *row* are the translation elements.

These things really do have to be spelled out.

--
   Bernie Roehl
   University of Waterloo Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering