Re: ^Z character in VRML files

Gavin Bell ([email protected])
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 09:21:48 -0700

On Oct 5, 12:04pm, Kevin Gross wrote:
> What puzzles me is why a VRML parser wouldn't just treat it and all non-
> quoted control characters as LWS (linear whitespace). They really should.

The spec says:

"Blanks, tabs, newlines and carriage returns are whitespace characters
wherever they appear outside of string fields. One or more whitespace
characters separates the syntactical entities in VRML files, where
necessary."

That's pretty clear-- other control characters aren't whitespace. I don't
think they should be, either-- allowing random control characters in VRML
files will just make it harder to edit them (I know vi, for example, doesn't
like control characters very much), mail them, etc.