Re: ANNOUNCE:one more castle

Vassilis Bourdakis ([email protected])
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 09:17:49 +0000

At 23:05 04/10/95 GMT, Colin Dooley wrote:
>>>It brought my VGXT to its knees (theoretically faster than an extreme -
>>>especially with textures).
>>>
>>>I desad to think what it will do to a PC :S
>>>

>>I'm running an SGI Extreme and it works just fine. I'm also
>>running WebSpace 1.1. By "extreme" did you mean "Extreme".
>>If so, then I disagree with your statement.
>>It's a very well done, fluid, castle.
>>

>Yes, I meant "Extreme". Maybe the problem has something to do with the
>browser using OpenGL or something. OpenGL goes fairly slow on my machine...
>
>And, yes, the castle is very nice.
>
>And I still desad what it will do on a PC... :)

I've definately seen worst worlds than that (worst as in slower :-)
It is a very well done model! Congratulations!
Pitty not much can be done in terms of LOD to make it faster.

Getting 1fr/sec on a 500x400pixel window with a normal video card Viper
PCI(not OpenGL hardware accel.) on a P5-66 with 48MB Ram, running NT3.51 and
Webspace1.0
And that is on the external model.
BTW, some text in English would help us appreciate more what this project is
about! I can more or less imagine but some help would be welcomed!

Cheers

Vassilis

PS. if you want to see something that will bring your Reality Engine to its
knees, have a look at http://www.bath.ac.uk/Centres/CASA/VRML/abbey.wrl.gz.
Disclaimer: it is a _BAD_ VRML as it has millions of faces, no textures and even
overlapping faces etc. Done by students a few years ago (using ACADr12),
needs serious reworking but I simply haven't got any time to do it yet.
Maybe December... BTW, it is 1.4MB compressed