Re: Interactive Agents and the Web

Chris Bloom ([email protected])
Wed, 4 Oct 1995 05:25:10 -0700

On Oct 3, 12:49pm, Paul Burchard wrote:
> I would be very interested in a clear technical
> statement of what you feel is "missing" from Java-enabled servers,
> but you've taken 400 words to simply make that claim.

HTML, Java, and VRML are interpreted protocols which originate from
some source identified by a URI request. General Magic is developing
support in Telescript for accepting these requests, processing these
requests, and replying to them. The missing piece that Telescript
provides is a secure runtime environment for agents (eg avatars) that can
travel between Telescript engines through the internet.

> For example, last time I checked, Telescript services in Magic Cap
> were actually _not_ implemented through mobile code! Instead,
> apparently, some kind of non-versioned(?) object archiving was used,
> with all the security, reliability, and deployment implications
> that follow.

What you have described is a particular use of Telescript between a
Telescripted service and a client. Telescript engines by definition
do allow an Agent, including its code, to go from one place to another
whether these two places are on the same machine or not.

I hope it is obvious that I am not suggesting that web browsers
include telescript engines. Rather we are developing support for
the rendering of pages that include callbacks in the form of URL's
that can allow interaction with places and agents in Telescript.

>Is that what you meant by being "complementary" to Java?

What I mean by being complimentary to Java is that through the use
of Telescript, services can be developed which are accessed by users
of Web Browsers through URL's where the services "render" Java as a
reply. The Java is executed locally as the frontend with callbacks
to the service or proxy executing in a Telescript engine.

Telescript is used to program the network. Java, HTML, and VRML are
used by these programs to interact with users. The Telescript Developers
Conference is an opportunity to learn more about the language and
the work well under way within General Magic to support internet standards.