IGES as a MIME data type

Dennette Harrod, Jr ([email protected])
22 Mar 95 18:44:47 EST

To Whom It May Concern:

Please forgive me if the following forwarded message is a
duplicate ... I have attempted to create an e-mail list
of correspondents on this issue who are not already on the
IGES Project exploder.

Since most of you are unknown to me, I shall assume that I
am also unknown to you. I am a former IGES Project Manager
for the IPO, and am currently an independent IGES developer.
My product, IGESDRAW(tm) has been used since IGES Version 5.0
to create the HPGL files (and now Encapsulated PostScript
files) used to print the figures in the IGES specification.

Having established both my credentials and my business interest
in IGES viewing tools, let me say that I am opposed to the
registration of IGES as a MIME data type. My reasons are best
expressed in the following (appended) flame.

I don't know how familiar you are with the format of an IGES
file, so I would also like to add an excerpt from my reply to
one of Alan Peltzman's messages:

>My problem is the Real World utility of IGES in a view-only
>mode on the Web, and the attitude that it is just for 3D
>graphics. IGES is a *TERRIBLE* format for exchanging 3D
>data over the Internet, not the least because of the 240
>byte overhead for each entity, be it a Point, Line, or Arc,
>and the 1,440 byte minimum for dimension entities.
>
>Couple this with the plethora of vendors who put a unique
>Transformation Matrix (Type 124) on each 3D entity, and
>you have an additional 240-320 bytes of overhead on
>each curve. Note that many systems cannot avoid this
>situation because of the way their data base stores 3D
>curves - they create the matrix on the fly by using the
>cross-product of vectors, and although arcs on the same
>plane will have a common normal vector, the "x-axis"
>is *not* the same for each matrix, so they cannot be
>reused!!

I might add that this problem exists with 2D arcs as well.
In a test of one translator, a 2D IGES file with no
transformation matrices was read into the system, then
written back out as IGES. It contained an additional 500+
unique transformation matrices, making 160,000 bytes of
extra data (320 bytes for each matrix).

FYI, you can browse my Homeboy Home Pages at:

http://www.ultranet.com/~dennette/

Also, please note that my e-mail addresss on Compu$erve
will be changing in a few weeks when my domain name of
"wiz-worx.com" becomes official. In the mean time, you can
also reach me at "[email protected]".

Share & Enjoy! -=DAH=-