Re: ANNOUNCE: VRML 1.0b1 Parser Released

Al Globus ([email protected])
Thu, 5 Jan 1995 12:46:46 -0800

Did I miss it or is the source code unavailable? If not,
when will it become available?

From: [email protected] (Mark Pesce)
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 1995 12:10:07 -0800 (PST)
Cc: [email protected]
Sender: [email protected]

VRML List Members and Digest Recipients:

It is with *great* pleasure that I would like to announce the availablity
of QvLib, the first revision (1.0b1) of the VRML Programming Library.

What is it?

The VRML Library, QvLib, is a set of C++ routines which can parse VRML files.
Its output is a "parse tree", which can be traversed by a program to
generate a "view" (or a translation) of a VRML environment.

You must link the library QvLib.o with the linker output generated by
your own code.

As of 5 January 1995, there are versions available for:

IRIX
SunOS
LINUX

What About Other Platforms?

Solaris is very soon to come.

We're hard at work on a port to Windows NT; that should be ready in just a
few days. We're not making any guarantees that it will work under Windows 3.1,
but we will make an effort.

It will probably compile on Macintosh systems pretty easily, but we don't
plan on doing this ourselves. If you're interested in doing a port for
MPW and/or CodeWarrior, please drop me a line at [email protected].

In general it is very easy to port QvLib to new operating systems.

How do I get QvLib?

Through WWW at http://www.eit.com/vrml/qv.html OR anonymous FTP to ftp.eit.com.
Go to directory /pub/vrml. All the files are there.

What about Bugs?

Send them to me. [email protected]
Very soon we'll start a separate mailing list to deal with bugs/features.

Who is responsible?

Paul Strauss ([email protected]) and Gavin Bell ([email protected]), of Silicon Graphics. Many thanks to them for a great job!

Daeron Meyer of the Geometry Center at the University of Minnesota did the
port to LINUX, and Tony Parisi offered sagely advice on the SunOS port.

So what are you waiting for? Get out there and use it!

Thanks!

Mark D. Pesce
VRML List Moderator