Re: HTML spec

Marc Andreessen ([email protected])
Wed, 16 Jun 93 13:53:08 -0500

Michael Leventhal writes:
> I believe the growing pains of HTML can only be resolved by evolving
> to the SGML architectural form concept [...]

Judging from my experiences in talking to real people in the real
world, the fastest way to kill WWW will be to go more strongly down
the SGML path.

(I realize the above isn't an incredibly valuable contribution to the
ongoing discussions; I haven't had time to type up my feelings in any
detail yet, but at this point I think that dealing with SGML in
general is a complete waste of time and that we'd currently be a lot
further along if we weren't burdened by the SGML baggage we've
inherited and are still carrying. 99.99% of the people I talk to want
to put rich documents online, want control over what it looks like,
and don't give a damn about semantic markup or distinctions between
document structure and appearance AT ALL; the other 0.01% are still
grappling with this whole keyboard-monitor-mouse concept.)

Marc