Re: HTML3 tables

Brian Behlendorf ([email protected])
Mon, 5 Dec 1994 13:08:54 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 5 Dec 1994, Philippe-Andre Prindeville wrote:
> A lot of people don't want certain features -- not because they believe
> thee features aren't useful or appropriate -- but because they are
> worried about the complexity of implementing them.
>
> Now while I'm all for pragmatism in programming, I think that
> lobotomizing a specification just because the implementation *might*
> be "challenging" is not just lazy, but extremely unhealthy.

While I agree that difficulty of implementation should not be held up as
the sole reason for not including a feature, we should also make sure
that we don't make the base level feature set of core WWW technology so
complex that a reasonable server or client could only be written by large
software companies or institutions, as that would stifle creativity and
experimentation. Though I suppose that's the whole idea behind a public
reference library implementation like libwww...

Brian

Your slick hype/tripe/wipedisk/zipped/zippy/whine/online/sign.on.the.ish/oil
pill/roadkill/grease.slick/neat.trick is great for what it is. -- Wired Fan #3
[email protected] [email protected] http://www.hotwired.com/Staff/brian/